
An Omega Farmer’s Story
Stanley Kruse has been a contract farmer for Omega for the past 2 years. Stanley’s contract calls for him to use 800 acre of his 3800 farm in northwest Missouri exclusively for growing Omega Maize. Kruse explains what drew him to Omega:
Many of the folks I know and those around here have taken up the Ethanol route. It became the next big thing for the American farmer, all this biofuel talk. Don’t get me wrong it has potential, but the more that grow it the less we can earn from a yield. The folks from Omega really interested me because of the potential of their maize products. The industrial uses are something that have impacts. So I can have a small patch for Omega and get a good price on that yield. Farmers like me we always need some additional ways to enhance our bottom line. We are no different than any other business, always trying to look to innovate. And in my mind, Omega is leading the way with innovation that can really benefit us farmers.
When asked about the potential dangers of GMO’s, Kruse mentioned the strict guidelines he and Omega have established to ensure the safe growth of Omega Maize. Kruse explains the practices to ensure that contamination does not occur:
Agronomists from Omega came out and helped me set up the plot for the Omega maize. I did not know much about the science of it all, but I do know that I did not want the Omega stuff winding up with my feed. So we set up a buffer zone on 2 sides to separate the crops. Planted some rows of switchgrass in between. The other 2 sides are bounded by trees. I also harvest the Omega maize first and naturally we have to give the harvesting and seeding equipment a good clean. Like I said, the people from Omega come out and make sure I am doing this right. By now I think I am. It’s some extra work, but their help makes it easier and the bushel price I get also makes it worthwhile.
View more employee testimonials.
Back to homepage.